Monday, May 7, 2012

Painted wallpaper

About a year ago I was perusing around a lovely blog I like to read and fell in love with hand painted wall paper in her home office.  This was just the look I wanted for my powder room and lucky me, there was a tutorial on how to achieve such a look in my house.  I have a pretty steady hand so I thought I would give it a try.  I downloaded the template here and got to work.




I started at the ceiling and traced the entire bathroom out in pencil first.  For the first couple of rows I used a level to make sure my pattern stayed straight.  After that I just used the first two or three rows as a guide and eyeballed it.



After that, I filed up a solo cup with paint and got to work with a small brush. 



Our powder room is right off the family room so I used the left over "greige" paint from that project to tie in the bathroom.  I think it turned out pretty great.



Other than being time consuming, this really was a pretty simple project. It did take me about a week, start to finish, but I only worked on it for 1-2 hours a night.  Give it a try, it is a great alternative to wallpaper and way easier to get rid of if you change your mind about it in a couple of years. To read the full tutorial click here.  Happy painting!!



No comments:

Post a Comment